Friday 15 March 2013

Stained Glass - Labour of Love

My first ever glass piece was a pretty epic journey. I used to attend an arts group regularly and we were given an amazing opportuninty to create a stained glass piece for Caerphilly Castle. As naive as I was at the time to the long and sometimes tedious process of tiffany work, I designed quite a complex A2 sized piece with about 100 awkwardly shaped fiddly pieces of glass.

Stained Glass Art - Firework Inspired piece by Designs by Neelie
The assembled piece after designing and cutting
  As time went on I began to realise the enormity of the challenge i'd set myself. Glass cutting didn't come naturally to me so I often found myself getting very frustrated from the beginning. There were times when I worried I wouldn't finish the piece and many members of the group thought I wouldn't do it.

Stained Glass Grinding in the Workshop - Designs by Neelie
As I found, grinding individual pieces is time consuming!
Copper Foiling Designs by Neelie
The copper foiling process
But (somehow) amongst the frustration, doubts, cuts and splinters I managed to finish the piece (just) on time and was really pleased with the result. Seeing it proudly hanging in Caerphilly Castle made all my efforts worth it. I had an excellent teacher along the way who I still keep in contact with and who was actually the person who encouraged me to pursue glass as a career.

Stained Glass Art - Needs sunlight - Designs by Neelie
Stained Glass needs light to show it true beauty!
 
The framed and completed stained glass art
The completed stained glass piece
 I'll always have a soft spot in my mind for the labour of love that was my introduction into glass artistry.

I'd love to know what you think of my piece, let me know!

No comments:

Post a Comment